Thursday, February 4, 2010

Growing Baby Human - Week 14

The past week has been so hectic! My husband began his new job as a long-haul driver and has already been all over the west coast, taunting me with pictures of beautiful, sunny skies and lush, green landscapes (not to mention the taco stands in California). I miss him terribly and I know he misses me, but we also both know that this is a sacrifice we must both make to help our dreams come true.

For those of you unaware, I suffered from multiple pulmonary emboli in February 2001. I never received a concrete reason as to WHY it happened, as I was an otherwise healthy 22-year-old woman. I have been free of any reoccurence over the past nine years, but being pregnant can change everything. At my first OB appointment, I was referred to a hematologist who ran a load of bloodtests to screen me for just about everything. I got the results of those tests yesterday and was hit the news... I suffer from a protein-S deficiency, a genetic mutation of the MTHFR gene, and lupus anti-coagulation - a triple whammy, so to speak.

So, I began my lovenox blood thinner injections last night. I knew that it was possible that I would have to give them to myself, but I honestly thought my husband would be here to give them to me. I've never taken to injections well. TB tests throw me into a vomit-inducing tailspin and forget about vaccinations. I am proud to say that this isn't nearly as bad as I feared. The first one was rough, but I've learned to let the alchol dry on my skin before I stick the needle in (oh, the burn otherwise!). It's not something I'm particularly thrilled about, but I'll do whatever it takes to ensure that I have a healthy baby at the end of this ordeal.

I pray hard every night - for the safety of my husband, the health of my family and unborn baby, for the wellness of everyone I know. My family has been a great source of strength and encouragement, as have my good friends. I appreciate and love you all.

No comments: